In addition to weekly lessons, harp majors at UNT participate in harp masterclass, harp ensemble, and large ensembles such as Symphony Orchestra and Wind Symphony.
For further information about harp studies at UNT, please contact Dr. Haefner at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 940-565-3739.
- UNT has one of the largest harp programs in Texas, currently with twelve harp majors (BA, BM, MM, DMA and certificate program).
- UNT hosted the American Harp Society Summer Institute (June 2011), which brought over 400 harpists to the UNT campus. NBC5 did a feature story about the event.
- Harp students participate in orchestra, band, chamber music, harp ensemble and weekly harp masterclass.
- Five of our harp majors (Danielle Harmon, Ann McLaughlin, Danielle Cordray, Ruth Mertens and Ula Rucka) have been UNT Concerto Competition winners.
- About the UNT HarpBeats:
- Students compose, arrange and lead most of the music for the harp ensemble (UNT HarpBeats); we have performed pieces ranging from Bach to Radiohead (and many in between)
- The ensemble recently performed for the 9th American Harp Society Summer Institute
- The ensemble was recently featured on CBS11
- The ensemble normally performs 1-2 times per semester on or off campus
- The ensemble has recordings available for purchase on the UNT Music Store!! All proceeds go toward UNT Harp Studio expenses.
- What our harp graduates are doing now:
- Teaching full-time for the high school harp program in Frisco, TX
- Touring and performing harp throughout India
- Performing with the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra
- On the faculty of Belhaven University (Jackson, Mississippi)
- Leading choirs and performing harp as a full-time choir director
- Publishing harp solos and arrangements
- President of American Harp Society Chapter
- Performing and teaching professionally
- Recipient of Distinguished Fellowship (for graduate study in harp)
at the University of Illinios (Urbana-Champaigne)